Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Adapted Base Ten Blocks Student Kit and 10 Frame

Today I was making these Adapted Base Ten Blocks Kits for a resource room in one of our elementary schools. I thought I would share them with you.
 In the zippered pouch that I bought at "Five and Below" for $1.50, I placed the numbered ten "long" and 20 unit blocks. In the second zippered area, I placed two  numbered 100 blocks with the written portion reading  "10 through 100" by 10's and 10 more longs.

I think these kits will help the teachers in that school utilize the base ten blocks more since they are organized so that they can be handed out to students easier, and the adaptations written on each block will help the students understand that a 100 is made of 10 ten's; and 10 is made of 10 units. I can visualize students using the blocks to practice counting from 1 to 10 or 10-100 by tens. 

So though I don't have a worksheet for you to download, I FREELY share my idea. Now you can print this picture to show your parent helper how you want the materials labeled.
Pouch labled: #5 Adapted Base 10 Blocks



As I was working on my project, my 3 years old granddaughter was busy making a very big circle with Teddy Bear Counters. She started by making a 2 color pattern, but got lost in the glory of creating a big, big, big circle.



This creative environment lead to this idea:
This is a 10 frame sequence drawn on the front and back of a 100's base 10 block.
 I am planning a 20 day Kindergarten Summer School program for students in our district that; 1) are at risk, and 2) have never attended pre school.  I want to use 10 frames to assist them in learning about numbers. I can visualize a very active "Calendar Time" that does alot of singing and choral counting.  These "COUNTING BLOCKS" could be handed out each day to assist the students, and to help them make a visual picture of the numbers value while they are particpating in the choral counting. They will also assist the student as they compare the value of numbers from 1-5. If a child is ready to discuss 6-10...all they do is turn them over to the other side.  No cutting out...no laminating...and teachers will actually use those base 10 blocks that are put away in a closet.

What do you think about this idea?

Deborah Devine






6 comments :

  1. Will definitely use this idea next year instead of handing out ziploc bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deborah,
    I just found your blog through a comment that you left on another blog. I would like to send you an email but i didn't see any contact information on your blog. Can you please email me at uf94gator@yahoo.com or you can reach me through my blog below.
    Thanks,
    Stacy

    simpsonsuperstars

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this idea! I've never even thought to write on them, but it is SUCH a great visual! (I definitely could have used this earlier on in the year, with my multi-level learners!) Thanks for sharing such a simple, yet GENIUS idea! :)

    Happy Sunday!
    ~Jillian
    Just Tinkerin’ Around

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this the other day...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea! I will using this with my own intervention groups and will pass the idea along to classroom teachers.

    Robin
    It's All Elementary
    www.teacherszone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I write on my place value hundreds blocks to teach decimals. Works every time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...